Averaging two to three lacrosse tournaments a weekend in first-rate facilities, Maryland is a beacon for lacrosse event planners across the nation.
- US Lacrosse, the national governing body of lacrosse, is headquartered in Baltimore. While primarily serving the youth level, US Lacrosse plays a range of roles in virtually every aspect of the game.
- You’re sure to have a high attendance of teams, spectators and volunteers. Lacrosse is very popular with the people of Maryland. After all, the sport is introduced at a young age through Maryland’s many lacrosse clubs and institutes.
- Maryland plays host to… the NCAA men’s DI, DII and DIII and women’s DI lacrosse championships in May 2014 and the 2015 Big Ten Men’s Lacrosse Tournament. So far in 2014, there are 121 tournaments that have either already taken place or are planned through November.
- Maryland has more than 100 venues that identify lacrosse as a primary focus. Lacrosse tournaments take place year-round thanks to a sufficient number of indoor and outdoor facilities. Maryland can accommodate beach, field and short-field lacrosse.
- Lacrosse has a rich history in Maryland. The first women’s lacrosse team in the country was established at Bryn Mawr School in Baltimore in 1926. Lacrosse made its Olympic debut in 1928, with Maryland’s Johns Hopkins University team representing the United States. In 1997, Maryland became home to the Lacrosse Museum and National Hall of Fame, which would be the perfect activity for your teams and families once they step off the fields. Lacrosse became the official state team sport of Maryland in 2004.
- Maryland Sports will help your planning process. Maryland Sports is the only sports commission in Maryland. It works with DMOs, provides support to partners, and assists partners with a full range of services, from development of initial bids to on-site logistics. Maryland Sports also helps with volunteer coordination, sponsorship and event promotion. Maryland Sports doesn’t just recruit events—they retain and grow events. Maryland is the place to be for your next lacrosse event. As Maryland Sports Executive Director Terry Hasseltine said, “Lacrosse in Maryland is like butter on bread.”
Maryland: The Lacrosse Mecca
Averaging two to three lacrosse tournaments a weekend in first-rate facilities, Maryland is a beacon for lacrosse event planners across the nation. Here are 6 reasons why you should choose Maryland for your next lacrosse event host.